Ridgeway was founded in 1880 as a stop on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. The railroad company was planning a branch line that was originally to go through Eagleville to Bethany and through a little town named Lorraine that was designed to become the county seat. However, the railroad changed the route to go from Blythedale to Bethany, bypassing Lorraine. The railroad bought land where Ridgeway is now located. Ridgeway was incorporated in 1881 and received its name at that time.
** Source: Ridgeway: Then and Now 1880-1980